Dr., Geographer, trained in the area of economic geography and cartography, was awarded PhD by the University of Calcutta towards the work 'Spatio-temporal Backwardness of Northern West Bengal (1960-1989)’ in 1991.
1981-1997: taught as lecturer and later Reader in Geography in Calcutta University College, was Member of Undergraduate Board of Studies, C.U
1997-2005: Reader in Geography and Social Science in National Council of Educational Research & Training, New Delhi, responsible for preparation of national curriculum, syllabuses, textboks and Teachers' Trainings. Prepared a Map Book For Visually Impaired Students.
Since 2005: Work on Disaster Education and Environmental Studies in India as well as Conflict and Textbook Studies in the context of South Asia.
2011/12: Visiting professorship, Centre for Development Studies (ZELF), FU Berlin
2011, 2014: Teaching assignments at the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz University, Hanover, Germany
- Basabi Khan Banerjee and Georg Stöber: "The Portrayal of “The Other” in Pakistani and Indian School Textbooks." In: ed. James H. Williams & Wendy D. Bokhorst-Heng.: "(Re)Constructing Memory: Textbooks, Identity, Nation, and State". Rotterdam/Boston/Taipei: Sense Publ. 2016. pp. 143-176
- (with Matthias Schmidt): "Einheit in Vielfalt? Politische Separationsbestrebungen in Indien am Beispiel von Khalistan und Gorkhaland", Geographische Rundschau 67 (1) (2015), 32-39.
- (with Georg Stöber): "Living in Harmony? “Casteism”, Communalism, and Regionalism
in Indian Social Science Textbooks", Journal of Educational Media, Memory, and Society 6 (2) (2014), 42-86
- (with Georg Stöber): Südasien. 2nd revised ed., Braunschweig: Westermann 2012 (Diercke spezial)
- "Towards Life Skills and Competencies - Disaster Education in Indian Schools", in: Christiane Meyer, Roderich Henrÿ and Georg Stöber (eds): Geographische Bildung. Kompetenzen in didaktischer Forschung und Schulpraxis. Braunschweig: Westermann 2011, 161-175
- (with Georg Stöber):"Textbook Revision and Beyond: New Challenges for Contemporary Textbook Activities", in: Journal of Educational Media, Memory and Society 2 (2) (2010), 13-28
- (with Georg Stöber): Südasien. Braunschweig: Westermann 2009 (Diercke spezial)
- "West Bengal History Textbooks and the Indian Textbook Controversy", Internationale Schulbuchforschung 29 (2007), (4), 355-374
- "Geography Education in Indian Schools", Internationale Schulbuchforschung 28 (2006), (3), 283-292
- “Natural Hazards in Indian School Education and the Tsunami Experience”, Internationale Schulbuchforschung 27 (2005), (4), 407-424
- "Preparation of Tactile Graphics for Visually Impaired Students:A Tryout", Internationale Schulbuchforschung 25 (2003), (3), 295-298
- Landscape and Evolution of Landforms, Self Learning Material for Teachers in Social Sciences, New Delhi: NCERT 2003
- “Our Environment”, in: 'India and The World', Part II, New Delhi: NCERT 2003
- "Migration Education as Reflected in Social Science Curriculum of the NCERT at Secondary Stage". In: Integrating Migration Education into Social Science Curriculum at Secondary Stage. Support Material for Teachers. New Delhi - Bangkok: National Council of Educational Research and Training - Regional Unit of Social and Human Sciences in Asia and the Pacific UNESCO [n.d., 2002], 44-52.
- “The Earth - Our Habitat”, in: 'India and The World', Part I, New Delhi: NCERT 2002
- Map Book For Visually Impaired Students: A Try-out, New Delhi: NCERT, 1999
- "School Level Geography Textbooks and Map Skills", Conference Proceedings Volume, XVII Indian National Cartographic Conference, International Congress, Kolkata, 1998
- Contribution to “India: A Geography Textbook for Class XII”, New Delhi: NCERT 1997
- "North Bengal: A Study of Backwardness", Institute of Landscape, Ecology and Ekistics (Calcutta,) 15 (1994), no. 2
- Teachers' Guide, Geography, Calcutta: SCERT 1993
- "Afforestation as a part of Environmental Management and participation of students", paper presented at 5th IGI Conference and International Seminar on Environmental Hazards and their Mitigation, Calcutta, 1992