Tobias Ide has been the coordinator of the research field Peace and Conflict at Georg Eckert Institute since May 2015. His research focuses on the depiction in international textbooks of relationships between environment and conflict and of threats to peace and security. He also works on the impact of environmental stress and climate change on the dynamics of peace and conflict, for instance in the context of the project Environmental Change, Peace and Education. Further he is interested in the relevance to conflict of identities and histories as they are portrayed in textbooks.
Tobias Ide holds an MA in political science (Leipzig, 2011) and a PhD in geography (Hamburg, 2015). In his doctoral thesis he investigated the links between climate change, (violent) conflict and cooperation, focussing particularly on the methodological aspects of the research field. In order to do so, he applied the methods of discourse analysis, qualitative comparative analysis (QCA) and GIS-based risk analysis to the Middle East and eastern Africa.
The results of Tobias Ide’s research have been published in the journals Nature Climate Change, Global Environmental Change, Political Geography, Journal of Peace Research, International Studies Review, Third World Quarterly and Earth System Dynamics, among others. He is also the editor of an anthology on peace and conflict studies and another on social science research on climate change. He received grants from the German Research Foundation (DFG) and the German Environmental Foundation (DBU), among others, and recently visitied at the University of Melbourne and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- Ide, Tobias and Amit Tubi (2019):Education and Environmental Peacebuilding: Insights from Three Projects in Israel and Palestine. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, online first.
- Ide, Tobias, Anna-Katharina Thiel and Itay Fischhendler (2019): The Critical Geopolitics of Water Conflicts in School Textbooks: The Case of Germany. Water Alternatives 12 (1), 304-321.
- Hermans, Kathleen and Tobias Ide (2019): Advancing research on climate change, conflict and migration. Die Erde - Journal of the Geographical Society of Berlin 150 (1), 40-44.
- Ide, Tobias (2018): Does Environmental Peacemaking between States Work? Insights on Cooperative Environmental Agreements and Reconciliation in International Rivalries. Journal of Peace Research 55 (3), 351-365.
- Ide, Tobias (2018): The Impact of Environmental Cooperation on Peacemaking: Definitions, Mechanisms, and Empirical Evidence. International Studies Review, online ahead of print.
- Ide, Tobias/Barnett, Jon/Detges, Adrien/Adams, Courtland (2018): Reply to ‘Sampling Bias Does Not Exaggerate Climate–Conflict Claims’. Nature Climate Change 8 (6), 442-443.
- Adams, Courtland/Ide, Tobias/Barnett, Jon/Detges, Adrien (2018): Sampling Bias in Climate-Conflict Research. Nature Climate Change 8 (3), 200-203.
- Ide, Tobias/Kirchheimer, Jakob/Bentrovato, Denise (2018): School Textbooks, Peace and Conflict: An Introduction. Global Change, Peace & Security 30 (3), 287-294.
- Ide, Tobias/Abdulkhaleq, Alwan/Bader, Khalil/Dougui, Noureddine/Husseini, Maysoun/Imad, Elarbi/Marzouk, Farouk Gaafar Abdel Hakim/Moustafa, Amany M. Taha/Spielhaus, Riem (2018): The Geopolitics of Environmental Education: An Analysis of School Textbooks in the MENA Region. Journal of Educational Media, Memory and Society 10 (2), 64-83.
- Ide, Tobias (2018): Climate War in the Middle East? Drought, the Syrian Civil War and the State of Climate-Conflict Research. Current Climate Change Reports 4 (4), 347-354.
- Ide, Tobias/Detges, Adrien (2018): International Water Cooperation and Environmental Peacemaking. Global Environmental Politics 18 (4), 63-84.
- Ide, Tobias (2018): On the Appropriate Use of QCA in Environmental Management
Research: A comment on Hossu et al. Ambio: A Journal of the Human Environment 47 (4), 831-832.
- Ide, Tobias/Detges, Adrien/Leimeister, Timo (2017): Securitisation through the Schoolbook? On Facilitating Conditions for and Audience Dispositions towards the Securitisation of Climate Change. Journal of International Relations & Development, online ahead of print.
- Ide, Tobias (2017): Terrorism in the Textbook: A Comparative Analysis of Terrorism Discourses in Germany, India, Kenya and the United States Based on School Textbooks. Cambridge Review of International Affairs 30 (1), 44-66.
- Ide, Tobias (2017): Research Methods for Exploring the Links between Climate Change and Conflict. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews Climate Change, 8 (3), 1-14.
- Ide, Tobias (2017): Space, Discourse and Environmental Peacebuilding. Third World Quarterly 38 (3), 544-562.
- Schilling, Janpeter/Nash, Sarah Luise/Ide, Tobias/Scheffran, Jürgen/Froese, Rebecca/von Prondzinski, Pina (2017): Resilience and Environmental Security: Towards Joint Application in Peacebuilding. Global Change, Peace & Security 29 (2),107-127.
- Ide, Tobias (2016): Critical Geopolitics and School Textbooks: The Case of Environment-Conflict Links in Germany. Political Geography 55 (1), 61-70.
- Ide, Tobias (2016): Toward a Constructivist Understanding of Socio-environmental Conflicts. Civil Wars 18 (1), 69-90.
- Link, P. Michael/Scheffran, Jürgen/Ide, Tobias (2016): Conflict and Cooperation in the Water-security Nexus: A Global Comparative Analysis of River Basins under Climate Change. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews Water 3 (3), 495-515.
- Ide, Tobias (2015): Why Do Conflicts over Scarce Renewable Resources Turn Violent? A Qualitative Comparative Analysis. Global Environmental Change 33 (1), 61-70.
- Ide, Tobias/Fröhlich, Christiane (2015): Socio-environmental Cooperation and Conflict? A Discursive Understanding and its Application to the Case of Israel and Palestine. Earth System Dynamics 6 (2), 659-671.
- Selbmann, Kirsten/Ide, Tobias (2015): Between Redeemer and Work of the Devil: The Transnational Brazilian Biofuel Discourse. Energy for Sustainable Development 29 (1), 118-126.
- Ide, Tobias/Schilling, Janpeter/Link, Jasmin S.A./Scheffran, Jürgen/Ngaruiya, Grace/Weinzierl, Thomas (2014): On Exposure, Vulnerability and Violence: Spatial Distribution of Risk Factors for Climate Change and Violent Conflict Across Kenya and Uganda. Political Geography 43 (1), 68-81.
- Ide, Tobias/Scheffran, Jürgen (2014): On Climate, Conflict and Cumulation: Suggestions for Integrative Cumulation of Knowledge in the Research on Climate Change and Violent Conflict. Global Change, Peace & Security 26 (3), 263-279.
- Scheffran, Jürgen/Ide, Tobias/Schilling, Janpeter (2014): Violent Climate or Climate of Violence? Concepts and Relations with Focus on Kenya and Sudan. International Journal of Human Rights 18 (3), 369-390.
- Ide, Tobias (2015): Towards Methodological Pluralism: An Empirical Evaluation of Research Methods for Assessing the Link Between Climate Change and Violent Conflict. Hamburg: State and University Library Hamburg.
- Ide, Tobias (ed.) (2017): Peace and Conflict Research. Leverkusen: Barbara Budrich, in German.
- Christ, Tamina/Gellrich, Angelika/Ide, Tobias (ed.) (2012): Perspectives on the Climate Debate in Political Science, Sociology and Psychology. Marburg: Metropolis, in German.
Chapters in edited volumes
- Ide, Tobias/Sümer, Vakur/Aldehoff, Larissa M. (2018): Environmental Peacebuilding in the Middle East. In: Swain, Ashok/Öjendal, Joakim (eds.): Routledge Handbook on Environmental Conflict and Peacebuilding. London: Routledge, 175-187.
- Ide, Tobias (2018): The Environment. In: Fuchs, Eckhardt/Bock, Annekatrin (eds.): Palgrave Handbook of Textbook Studies. Basingstoke: Palgrave, 357-366.
- Ide, Tobias (2018): Using SKAD to Investigate Cooperation and Conflict Over Water Resources. In:Keller, Reiner/Schünemann, Wolf J./Hornidge, Anna-Katharina (eds.): The Sociology of Knowledge Approach to Discourse. London: Sage, 237-253.
- Ide, Tobias (2017): A Climate of Violence? The Debate on Climate Change and Violent Conflicts. In: Ide, Tobias (ed.): Peace and Conflict Studies.Leverkusen: Barbara Budrich, 193-226, in German.
- Ide, Tobias (2017): Introduction: Issues, Concepts and Trends in Peace and Conflict Studies. In: Ide, Tobias (ed.): Peace and Conflict Studies. Leverkusen: Barbara Budrich, 7-32, in German.
- Ide, Tobias/Selbmann, Kirsten (2016): Climate Change, Biofuels and Conflict. In: Singh, Ram Sarup/Pandey, Ashok/Gnansounou, Edgard (eds.): Biofuels: Production and Future Perspectives. Boca Raton: CRC Press, 25-40.
- Ide, Tobias/Link, P. Michael/Scheffran, Jürgen/Schilling, Janpeter (2015): The Climate-Conflict Nexus: Pathways, Regional Links and Case Studies. In: Brauch, Hans Günter/Oswald Spring, Úrsula/Grin, John/Scheffran, Jürgen (ed.): Handbook on Sustainability Transition and Sustainable Peace. Dordrecht: Springer, 285-304.
- Ide, Tobias (2015): The Resource Curse as a Security Threat: On the Link Between Resource Abundance and Intrastate Violent Conflict. In: Jäger, Thomas (ed.): Handbook Security Threats. Wiesbaden: VS-Verlag, 43-52, in German.
- Scheffran, Jürgen/Ide, Tobias/Schilling, Janpeter (2015): Violent Climate or Climate of Violence? Concepts and Relations with Focus on Kenya and Sudan. In: Zimmerer, Jürgen (ed.): Climate Change and Genocide: Environmental Violence in the 21st century. London: Routledge, 107-126.
- Ide, Tobias (2012): Wars and Violent Conflict as a Consequence of Climate Change? In: Christ, Tamina/Gellrich, Angelika/Ide, Tobias (eds.): Perspectives on the Climate Debate in Political Science, Sociology and Psychology. Marburg: Metropolis, 169-196, in German.
- Ide, Tobias (2012): A Short Story of Failure, or: Why We Know That It Will Be Bad and Change (Almost) Nothing. In: Christ, Tamina/Gellrich, Angelika/Ide, Tobias (eds.): Perspectives on the Climate Debate in Political Science, Sociology and Psychology. Marburg: Metropolis, 57-84, in German.
- Ide, Tobias/Gellrich, Angelika/Christ, Tamina (2012): Introduction: Climate Change as an Area of Contention Between Society, Politics and Economy. In: Christ, Tamina/Gellrich, Angelika/Ide, Tobias (eds.): Perspectives on the Climate Debate in Political Science, Sociology and Psychology. Marburg: Metropolis, 11-45, in German.
- Ide, Tobias (2010): The "True" Causes of Climate Change. In: Aufenanger, Vanessa/Friedrichsen, Nele/Koch, Stephan (eds.): Justice and Responsibility in Climate and Energy Politics. Münster: Monsenstein & Vanderat, 14-24.